It almost 12 months with Surface Pro 3

So, i got replacement unit. It kinda sort of fine. Some corners are more bright (especially when it starts and shows Surface logo). but it ok. With small "o" and small "k"
So... what happens?
I try to install my Microsoft Office 2013 all official staff and it goes racing head to head with updates of pre-installed 32 bit Office. I don't like it, but by the end neither of them work. so i nuke whole system and "reset" it.
So, it install fresh copy of settings and files and ... i figure out how to get my copy and version of Office.
I did it and it great. The problem some other staff don't work. It sees only one core out of 4 logical and pushes it to the limits and then beyond. As a result tablet is noisy and hot like hell.
3 Refreshes after all together it ok. CPU is cool, nothing punishes system , it all in the order i like. Correct version of Office, no bloatware clean and sound.
I use it for a month and start noticing pesky and frequent error from GPU driver. I have crush on Firefox, Video playback and solitaire game. I will kick you app and while it down...
I contact support. Business as  usual  you have to install all updates, you have to let us assess your PC.
Fine, have it!
So...Second call for support finds some corrupt system files and fixes them with some black old school screen trickery. Reset of the system recommended.
I doing it on my own since it took forever to find roots of the problem and support rep is busy with other things.
Reset crushes like it did on a first day with my first unit. I drive to Microsoft Store  and get some technical help. Surface was stuck on 1% of reset process for 2.5 hours. So i was able to get to the store.With the New years traffic jam and completely occupied parking lots around Square One in Mississauga. I hear about different things, but not about my solution. It seem OK to nuke system every three weeks and Microsoft have One Drive to back up my files, so i should not worry. Computers now days are not like they used to be and build to last. only short amount of time ...
All excrement of  male cow talk.
I got my tablet back after two days and with Intel supplied  graphics driver. It fixed crushes , however now if you disconnect or connect power cord screen turns black for a two seconds.
Fun NEVER stops!
I had 20 minutes long conversation with technician and  Microsoft Store Manager. I heard about files corrupted by malware, again how others liking Surface Pro 3 and a lot of other staff.
I asked what i going to do if this thing breaks down again and considering MY experience i feel envy for these lucky bastards who enjoy RELIABLE Surface Pro, however if my tablet goes the way it usually did what should i do since warranty is gone.... Yeah i  should walk into the store and i will be helped. The thing missing from this statement is a price of help.
Since warranty will be gone every technical help have a price tag .
This price tag got silence treatment from store staff.

I know i paid premium price for a computer product. What i got is a lot of trouble, endless fixes and no trust into computer which suppose to be personal. Instead i wasted a lot of my personal time comparable to the whole vacation length, I can relay on this thing as you can relay on public bench in the park for safe keeping of your belongings (keep it close and take them when you walk out).
After all hurdles i had my recommendation will be to avoid this product.
Plain and simple.
Especially now. Surface Pro 4 is out, so no one going to put any effort into fixing problems with older product. No one tried to do it seriously when it was new.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timex Atlantis 1984 vs 2010. Old school

Casio F-105 watch. Classic in form and function.

Entrey into Wavecepror : Casio WVQ-140A shoot and forget watch